Cider Braised Short Ribs with Sweet Potato
This fall-off-the-bone short rib served with a sweet potato souffle is perfect for any dinner gathering including Passover. Gluten free and absolutely delicious, this recipe serves 6 and takes a total of 3 hours for preparation and cook.
3-bone flanken short rib
2 tablespoons Gefen Olive Oil
2 cups medium diced onions
2 cups medium diced celery
2 cups medium diced carrots
1 sprig rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped garlic and ginger
2 cups brown sugar
2 bottles Appleation Dry Hard Cider
1 quart beef stock
Sweet Potato Souffle
1 white onion
1 sweet potato
1 russet potato
2 eggs, separated
3 tablespoons chopped chives
2 pinches Haddar Kosher Salt
2 pinches black pepper
2 tablespoons melted margarine
1 cup almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 475℉.
2. Generously season meat with salt and black pepper.
3. Roast for 8-10 minutes in oven.
4. Add olive oil in a hot pan and add diced vegetables, herbs, garlic, and ginger. 5. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
5. Add brown sugar to the pan and stir throughout to make sure the sugar melts a little
6. Add hard cider and beef stock.
7. Once the mixture comes to a boil, pour it over the short rib, and cover loosely with a piece of parchment paper to keep moist. Then cover tightly with a lid or aluminum foil.
8. Put in oven at 400℉ for 1 hour, then turn temperature down to 325℉ and let braise for another hour.
9. Always check to make sure the meat is fork tender and rest before slicing.
10. Strain braising liquid and return to flame to reduce until it has a nice syrup consistency.
1. Roast sweet potato, russet potato, and onion at 400℉ for 40 minutes. For sweet potato and onion, drizzle with a little olive oil and wrap in tin foil to roast.
2. Once roasted, cool and mash potatoes (or rice). Add egg yolks, chives, salt, pepper, margarine, and almond milk. Mix well.
3. Whip eggs whites and fold into potato mixture.
4. Line skillets or ramekins with margarine and a sprinkle of potato starch. Then add in souffle mixture.
5. Bake at 400℉ for 8-12 minutes.
6. Plate and enjoy!