BBQ Brisket Recipe
Although brisket is usually prepared during the holidays, it actually makes an excellent choice when it comes to feeding your guests. It can also be prepared when you just want to have some tasty leftovers on hand for meals or sandwiches later in the week.
<h2>How to Cook a Brisket</h2>
Brisket, a cut of beef from the breast or lower chest, is a mainstay in kosher cooking because it benefits from low, slow braising– a technique ideal for preparing Shabbat and holiday fare.
When it comes to cooking the perfect kosher brisket, it is recommended to get the best quality of meat from a butcher you trust. Also, commit to cooking the meat slowly to achieve that rich, flavorful taste. And lastly, it is very important to slice the brisket correctly to ensure tender meat. Brisket must be sliced thinly against the grain.
<h3>Things You’ll Need</h3>
- 4 – 5 pound brisket, ask for flat cut only
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon potato starch to dust inside the cooking bag
- 2 large onions
- Mix the garlic powder, salt, ginger and pepper. Rub into the brisket. Shake the potato starch into the baking bag. Put the seasoned brisket into the bag and place on a sturdy jelly roll pan or in a roasting pan.
- Mince the garlic and slice the onions. Reach into the bag and rub the chopped garlic into the meat. Add the sliced onion.
- Combine the sherry, ketchup, and brown sugar; whisk to blend. Pour into bag on top of onions and meat.
- Close bag securely. Make sure that the crumpled opening is more on top than the bottom to prevent leaks. Make 6 half inch slits for air vents on top of the bag
- Bake the brisket until tender for about 2 1/2 hours at 325 degrees for a 5 pound brisket to cook. Rotate the tray during cooking in case the oven temperature is uneven.
- Press the brisket firmly with fingers to see if it is tender enough. Remove from the oven and let sit in the bag for 10 minutes.
- Open the bag immediately to let the steam out. Slice and cover with the sauce. Enjoy!